Academic Resources and Support Services
The Online Education Division at Five Towns College is replete with not only academic resources but also resources to assist with the transition of traditional students to the online environment. To that end, this page is dedicated to providing direct links to institutional administrators and staff who are eager to support students achieve their best educational outcomes and to be successful–not just in classes, but outside of their classes as well.
Social, mental and emotional well-being helps students focus their energy on the subject matter in classes. Staying attentive, engaged and enthusiastic promotes the educational process and aids in personal development. Students should thrive in an online environment. By maintaining good and healthy mindsets, individuals are optimized to engage in an interactive learning process with peers, faculty and staff.
Furthermore, the Online Education Division has designed a course in Canvas-Introduction to Online Learning- which serves as a training and orientation course for all new FTC students. Should additional assistance be needed at anytime, students can email the Support for Online Students (SOS) at SOS@ftc.edu.
Please explore the links below and reach out directly via email to the College’s staff who are available to assist students online.
- ACADEMIC SUPPORT
The Online Education Division has designated a team of Online Mentors to academically assist students. The Directory of Online Mentors is available here.
Name Email Address Michelle Collins email@example.com Stephanie Ganci firstname.lastname@example.org
A Message from our Online Support Mentors
Strong student services support is a hallmark of a Five Towns College education. To help students be successful in the online environment, tutoring services are available via peer or faculty tutors. Please contact the FTC Online Tutoring Coordinator at Cynthia.email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how to request assistance. The Tutoring Request Form is available here.
- LIBRARY SERVICES
The College is proud of its large online catalog that includes specialty databases for students studying music and the performing arts. All of these resources are available to online learners. Learn more about resources available in the Library here. Specific questions can also be directed to the Library Director, John Vansteen, M. L. S. at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some other Information Literacy Resources that online students may find helpful:
- COUNSELING SERVICES
- Counseling Services are provided to support student success and to provide referrals for professional psychological services. The Counseling Center can be contacted virtually by email, by phone and/or online videoconferencing can be arranged.
- A broad range of topics related to academic, emotional, social, mental and overall well-being can be discussed in a confidential setting online. Students are encouraged to contact the Counseling Center and request an appointment, if needed. The College maintains relationships with area health providers who can be contacted online as well. Some of these providers are included in the Student Handbook here and/or the Residence Life Handbook here.
In addition, the College has a relationship with the Family Violence and Rape Crisis Center/Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk (VIBS) and provides cost-free counseling, advocacy and physical and emotional support and medical care for sexual assault victims in compliance with NYS Education law, Article 129-B.
The contact is: Family Violence & Rape Crisis Center/Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk (VIBS): (631) 360-3730; www.vibs.org
To contact the FTC Online Counselor, Randi Giebel, M.S.W., email email@example.com. Or, submit the Counseling Request Form for an Appointment, available here.
Here are some other Important Counseling Resources:
- Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- DASH: 631-952-3333 (24 Hour Crisis Hotline)
- Long Island Crisis Center: 516-679-1111
- LGBTQ Hotline: 1-800-246-7743
- Eating Disorder Helpline: 1-877-221-6637
- VIBES: 631-360-3606
- Alcohol Anonymous Hotline: 1-888-679-1714
- 24 hour Crisis Care Center for Suffolk County Residents
THE CAREER SERVICES CENTER ONLINE
The Career Services Center is providing individual meetings with students via ZOOM. Students seeking assistance for career counseling, internships, resume & cover letter review, interview preparation and practice, and general questions are welcome to contact us.
- For Appointments:
- Please contact Director Krysti O’Rourke: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Appointments:
- For Seniors, Career Services can be contacted via Canvas: Career Success Seminar.
Seniors who will be graduating are strongly encouraged to attend just one of our live chats. These chats will be provided each Friday, times to be announced. Individual follow up meetings can be provided, too.
Stay posted for updates about:
- Career Chats with Career Service Professionals
- Career Services workshops and events, including the Get Hired Employer Buzz Series
The CAPP program: with Student ACCESS & Support will continue through a different format. Check the CAPP Group on Canvas.
Be sure to visit the Job Opportunity Site on Canvas for updates!
- CANVAS SUPPORT
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) SUPPORT
The Five Towns College team of experienced and dedicated Information Technology staff are available to assist throughout a student’s higher education journey. For technical support or questions, please email email@example.com.