How to Apply to Graduate School
The Five Towns College Admissions Office oversees the admission process for graduate programs. FTC Admissions Representatives are ready to assist you with the admissions process, your online application, and any questions you may have about applying. The Graduate Music Division offers students opportunities to study, perform and participate in ensembles, masterclasses, and more. Inquire about the Graduate Music Studies Incentive (GMSI) and the Graduate Music Educators’ Fellowship Performance Initiative (FPI), too.
Admission decisions are based on a comprehensive assessment of an applicant’s potential for graduate work. Please review the admissions requirements below as you prepare your documents and begin your Graduate School Application.
Contact us today for help during the application process.
Master’s applicants must complete the following items:
- Complete the Graduate School Application. Click here to fill out the application online.
- Attach a $50 application fee (Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, money order, or credit card.) This fee will be waived if the application is submitted online.
- Send all official undergraduate and previous graduate college transcripts to the Admissions Office.
- Submit a Personal Statement regarding your goals, values and accomplishments.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Immunization records will be required upon acceptance.
- Applicants for a Master’s degree in Education must present proof of their NYS teaching certification.
- Applicants for a Master’s degree in Music are required to audition. For the Graduate Degree Audition Requirements, click here.
Admission Standards for the M.M. Music Education Program:
All applicants for admission are required to have Provisional/Initial Certification and demonstrate by audition significant musical skills and a commitment to the advancement of their personal and professional accomplishments.
The following is required for application to the program:
1. Complete and submit the Graduate Application.
2. Submit official transcripts demonstrating completion of a Bachelor of Music in Music Education with proof of initial teacher certification in New York State*. [Completion of an undergraduate major in music education with at least 36 credits of applied music courses and a 3.0 overall G.P.A. is required for admission.]
3. An audition on the candidate’s principal instrument. The audition should be of two contrasting pieces that demonstrate a level of skill.
4. An interview with at least two Music Education faculty.
5. A writing sample at the time of the interview. Topics for writing samples can be selected by the applicant from a list provided.
6. Two letters of recommendation.
*Or equivalent certification from another state, including a minimum edTPA score of 38. Out of state certification will not automatically lead to New York State Professional Certification. It is the student’s responsibility to seek reciprocity for the New York State Initial Certification
Doctoral program applicants must complete the following items:
- Complete the Doctorate Admissions Application.
- Attach a $50 application fee. (Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, money order or credit card.)
- Send all official undergraduate and graduate college transcripts to the Admissions Office.
- Submit a Research Essay of at least 1,500 words on a musical subject of your choice. (Citations and references must be included.)
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation via the Official Five Towns College Recommendation Forms (PDF).
- Immunization records will be required upon your acceptance.
- Applicants for a Doctorate in Musical Arts degree in music are required to audition on their major instrument or voice and piano. For the Doctor of Musical Arts Audition Requirements, click here.