Master of Music (M.M.) Degree in Music Education
NOTE: Learn about the Wind Conductors’ Academy here.
Earn a Master of Music degree (M.M.) in Music Education by completing 36 credits in approved graduate courses and conducting a research project. This program is designed for individuals with Provisional/Initial Certification. With a M.M in Music Education, graduates attain Professional Certification to teach grades K-12. Further, the program requires 24 credits to be completed in residence. To graduate, complete all program requirements within five years of the enrollment start date. Advance your study and research in Music Education and spend your professional career doing what you enjoy!
M.M. Music Education Curriculum
To learn more about the curriculum, click here.
In the graduate program, students complete 18 credits of music education courses, 12 credits of music core courses, and six electives.
Master of Music (M.M.) degree in Music Education Academic Standards
Admission Standards for the M.M. Music Education Program:
All applicants for admission are required to have Provisional/Initial Certification and demonstrate by audition significant musical skills and a commitment to the advancement of their personal and professional accomplishments.
The following is required for application to the program:
1. Complete and submit the Graduate Application.
2. Submit official transcripts demonstrating completion of a Bachelor of Music in Music Education with proof of initial teacher certification in New York State*. [Completion of an undergraduate major in music education with at least 36 credits of applied music courses and a 3.0 overall G.P.A. is required for admission.]
3. An audition on the candidate’s principal instrument. The audition should be of two contrasting pieces that demonstrate a level of skill. For Audition Requirements, click here.
4. An interview with at least two Music Education faculty.
5. A writing sample at the time of the interview. Topics for writing samples can be selected by the applicant from a list provided.
6. Two letters of recommendation.
*Or equivalent certification from another state, including a minimum edTPA score of 38. Out of state certification will not automatically lead to New York State Professional Certification. It is the student’s responsibility to seek reciprocity for the New York State Initial Certification.