Undergraduate Audition/Portfolio Requirements
Jazz/Commercial Music (Mus. B.): Vocalists
The College is accepting pre-recorded auditions from applicants to ease the application process. Please use the form at the bottom of this page to submit your materials as per the guidelines below.
Auditions will consist of the following elements
- Two (2) prepared contrasting pieces from the standard classical, Broadway or jazz literature that show your technical ability, tone quality, musicality, sense of style, and potential for study and advancement. The applicant must provide and bring sheet music to the audition. The applicant may also wish to bring an accompaniment CD or karaoke track as a pianist may not be available depending upon the selected audition date (see selections below).
- Techniques of Music assessment, including:
a. Ear training assessment
b. Testing for vocal range
c. An a cappella example
d. Sight-singing example
- Any classical selection from the standard literature such as an aria from an opera or oratorio, an art song in any language such as from the 24 Italian Songs and Arias of the 17th and 18th Centuries, or a technical etude from a standard technical course of study such as Concone or Vaccai.
- Any Standard Song from any printed source such as from the Real Book (6th Edition).
- Any Broadway or Show Tune.
- A significant popular tune that shows the technical skill of the applicant to the best of his/her ability.